Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Ayako Miyawaki: Radishes+ onions = state of mind?






































When I saw these images they immediately seemed familiar, in that they characterize different ways ideas formulate in my mind. The radishes (top) spring from a single point, branching into dendrites upward and outward. The onions are made of complex patterns contained within a whole. The co-existence of these two ways of thinking resonates strongly for me, not only in my mind, but also in the actual physical environment of my daily life:


These textiles are by a Japanese artist named Ayako Miyawaki. They are from a catalog of an exhibition of her work in 1991 at the National Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington D.C.
The first work is "Hinona Radishes" 1978, the second is called "Purple Onions" 1966.

No comments: