For the lapel, I used red cotton batik with a design that reminds me of peacocks.
It's designed like a classic wrap dress with two attached belts at each of the front panels
and a side slit under the arm.
I decided on a cotton tartan weave for the belts, a leftover from one of my sister's projects that reminds me of her, and of our shared love of sewing. In terms of the patterns, I like the contrast of the woven grid with the printed diamonds.
One nice thing about the wrap-dress design is that it holds the panels in place without an interior tie or button, which creates a neater fit than a basic belted robe,
and makes it feel a little more like a "dressing gown" ,
like this one that I like so much from Horrockses.
I really love that there are poppies running crazy all over me.
The double wrap design also allays my fear of degenerating into a version of Eric Stoltz's character in Pulp Fiction.
Given my background in architecture,
it's no surprise that I approach sewing as series of small construction projects made up of parts, pieces, and attachments. I like to consider details, such as the placement of the rectangular top stitching (above) where the belt attaches to the panel . This looks like no big deal, and in a way it's not, but the offset stitching is strategically placed to avoid creating bulk.
That idea worked out well, but others, such as using the selvage for the, hem didn't.
The thought here was to expose the copyright and design credits along the bottom of the robe, but it came out too long; the first time I headed up the stairs I nearly broke my neck, so I'm afraid the hem will have to come up at least a couple of inches.
Time to wrap this project up.
and there are notes to organize from my sketchbook.