Sunday, July 7, 2013

Parts and pieces, patterns and dreams


























































Here is the finished top of a summer spread  (a blanket without the batting layer for warmth) made of leftover scraps and old clothes 


Interesting to compare it to the  photo below and see what I kept and what I changed in the original design.  The biggest change came about as soon as I saw the mock-up photo-- I didn't like the high-contrast, spiky design of the lower right corner, so I replaced it with the tea towel and some smaller pieces of fabric.


  
From the beginning I planned for the large floral rectangle to be in the upper left corner-- I sleep on that side of the bed, and I want it under my heart when I'm napping or over my heart when I'm sleeping beneath it. Coincidentally, in the process of assembling the pieces, it turned out to be a kind of hinge, the last large piece I put in place that pulled the rest together.






















Another initial idea was a large, light open space



which ultimately settled not quite in the middle.



I was thinking of courtyards-- protected open spaces for contemplation and reflection.


.. like this one at Poblet, a monastery in Spain.



Aerial views of farmland came to mind













as I was cutting and sewing strips of fabric.  





I thought a lot about landscapes and sleeping and dreaming, and 








 the landscape of our dreams  (I take a lot of notes when I'm sewing) and how the random assembling of parts and pieces of fabrics, each with its own specific pattern, texture, associations, and history is a lot like dreams-- we can identify each of the parts, and even describe the order, saying "this is next to that" or "then what happened next...", but not necessarily understand why they are together in one place. They just are.


  






































Much like dreams, the arrangement of the parts may not make sense but it somehow does function as a whole.




 ..and from construction of dreams to actual construction... between having a pretty good eye for almost straight lines, I didn't use a ruler much, but when I did, the floorboards came in handy as reference points.  Using the "order" of my immediate environment to create order in what I make, as a point of connection-- I like that.





























































































2 comments:

Jose 813 said...

Looks terrific.! Sweet dreams...

Karyl Dokos said...

Thanks Jose! I'm very happy with how it turned out.