Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New, old, ancient




 New pillow made from vintage fabrics (1920's- 2013) which include a 1930's blue cotton flour sack,  1950-60's gray floral-print cotton (my grandmother's curtains),   green woven 1960's cotton (our den curtains growing up),  1980's plaid wool (my sister's pants), and newly bought yellow burlap and digital print silk from my scarf .






Color

















 
                                                I think the oldest fabric in the group is this red woven wool which was in a box with some other upholstery scraps and a receipt dated September 1926. The color and weave brought to mind ancient South American textiles....


























                                                                                                 ......like the one I sketched when I visited the "Wari: Lords of the Andes" exhibition at the Kimbell Art Museum in Aug 2013.




Referencing the photo in the exhibition catalog, I pulled together the other fabrics to complete the color palette.







Composition

the main idea was to showcase the pattern and weave of the red wool. 


thinking of a color-blocked composition like  Hans Hofmann 's painting "Elysium" 






Texture



The blue wool plaid reminded me of  Japanese boro textiles  , like this jacket





and since I wanted to use up some scraps that were already in strips, I sewed them, along with other darker cotton scraps onto an old bed sheet.   




















 Then I cut that textile into strips...




















and sewed those strips in layers to make a textile.  The white sheet pops through in places and accentuates lines and texture.


the scrap of digital print silk was added just before I sewed the pillow together.




Pattern














Here, the right and wrong side of the curtain fabric are sewn together to make a new pattern. The matrix of raised, stitched lines is the result of sewing with a double needle.  The curtain fabric is old and tears easily in places; sewing it onto a lining not only reinforces it, but creates another texture, a map-like effect, which I really like.




Label


The handwritten label sewn onto the pillow back is made of the cotton lining of our 1960's den curtains.



























Rotations




















































No comments: