Saturday, May 20, 2017

Eucalyptus



Eucalyptus
-1960s wool coat and satin lining, 50s party dress with tulle trim, hand-embroidered tea-dyed burlap,
80s bed sheet, cargo pants seams











































Eucalyptus bark at a friend's house, Woodland Hills, CA.  As soon as I saw the
tree, I knew I would make a textile, and exactly which fabrics I would use.

                                             








My mother's 1960s wool coat, transitioning from garment to art.
I love the two-tone coral/gray, shiny/matte satin lining.  The construction
details-- inseams, hems, edges cut with pinking shears-- are kept intact
and used as-is in the textile.                                                                                                                                            



                                                                                 

























My mom (right) and her two sisters in 1950s party gowns.
The green fabric in the textile, if not from one of these dresses, is
from one similar.







































































































No comments: